Started in 1947 by Paddy & Carl J. Savino, Sr., and continued by their son Carl Jr., the Savino Funeral Home has been proudly serving the families of West Scranton and Northeast Pennsylvania with compassion and professionalism for over 70 years.
Located on South Main Avenue in the heart of West Scranton, Savino’s offers a large visitation room, off street parking lot, and is handicap accessible. We strive to provide the best dignified service while earning the trust that families place in us at their most difficult of times.
Spring/ Summer of 2018 has brought about renovations to our facility that now provide an even more comfortable experience for families and their guests. We hope the families and community we serve will love the changes we have made. On Saturday Sept. 22nd 2018 we celebrated a grand re-opening and building dedication service which was a great success. We thank everyone that attended as well as those that made this project possible.
The Carlucci Funeral Home was established in 1919 in Dunmore, Pennsylvania by John "Jack" Carlucci. The original building was located on Smith Street in Dunmore, across the street from the original St. Anthony of Padua Church. In 1945, John Carlucci passed away and his wife, Mary Coviello Carlucci, took over ownership of the business while operating under what is known as a Widow's License. Her sons Michael J. Carlucci and Leonard Carlucci became licensed funeral directors and became involved in the family business.
In the year 1950, the family moved the business from its Smith Street location to East Drinker Street in Dunmore, where the funeral home is still located today. Michael J. Carlucci had served as supervisor of the business until his mother's death in 1983. He was sole owner of the business from 1983 up until 1996. At that time the business was purchased by its current owners, Thomas J. Golden and Sidney R. DeSantis, both licensed funeral directors and owners of two other area funeral homes.
The fall of 2013 brought about a bitter sweet experience as the structure was razed to create additional onsite parking so as to better serve the families in our care.
Stanley E. Golden was the founder of the original Golden Funeral Home. He was a graduate of the Dolan College of Embalming in Philadelphia. In 1947, upon his completion of his tour of duty with the U.S. Army as a Captain during World War II and a subsequent tour in Europe and Africa to facilitate the return of deceased U.S. soldiers to American soil, he established the business known as the Stanley E. Golden Funeral Home located at 2004 Delaware Street in Dunmore. Upon his death in 1977, his son and business partner, Thomas J. Golden continued operating the business as the Thomas J. Golden Funeral Home at the same location until December 31, 2010.
Meyer Ziman began in the funeral business in 1918 conducting services for the deceased of the Jewish community out of their private residences. It was in 1937 that Meyer built the Ziman Funeral Home on Gibson Street in Scranton. He continued operating the business for many years along with his son, Lewis B. Ziman, who had become a licensed funeral director himself. Upon Meyer’s death in 1982, Lewis continued to own and operate the family business for many years. In 1974, Lewis hired an associate, Sidney R. DeSantis, a licensed funeral director, to help with the business on a temporary basis. Eventually the temporary label was dropped and he worked for many years at the funeral home becoming involved in all aspects of the business and becoming well known in the Jewish community. After spending parts of three decades as an employee, in 1995 Sid purchased the business from Lewis. He continued to operate the business at its Gibson Street location with great professionalism and respect for Jewish religious customs until December 31, 2010. In April 2011 the building, which had been purchased by the Commonwealth Medical College, was razed to make room for the new school.